Monday, April 03, 2006

Fee for girls home (An email)

Just sent this email to the list of emails I could find from toa payoh girls home. I know my english cannot make it like what Ms auditor has commented. But something has to be done right?

==========================================================

To: Whoever it may concern,

I'm writing on behalf of my parents, whose daughter (also my younger sister), was sent to Girl's Home for 2 years recently. It is a very painful feeling emotionally for my parents and also for the rest of us in the family.

When they were told that they have to pay a monthly fee of $1.5k just because they stay in a private estate, all of us were shocked at the amount. We managed to "bargain" down to $1000. I understand that many girls who entered the girls home have financial difficulties thus pay at a subsidized rate of $100 monthly. Does that mean the non-subsidized rate is $1.5k? If so, please justify the amount. If not, does that mean the amount that we pay is used to subsidize the poor instead?

Girls Home is run by MCYS which is a government-runned organization. All of us pay our income tax. Rich pay more while the poor pay less. If a government operated organization still needs to be subsidized by wealthier "problematic" girls being put in girls home, then where have our taxes gone to? Then the people in prison should be charged a monthly fee too.

I'm writing not because I want a subsidy but because I want transparency. Justify the amount that needs to be paid. $1000 per month for 3 months can pay an undergrad's tuition fee for 1 semester. Just like the progress package, people who stays in HDB gets up to $800 while I only get $200. I'm fine with it as the difference is 4 times. But in this case, it's 10 times. A bit unbelievable right?

I would appreciate a prompt reply to this matter, or else I will send an article to ST forum to let the relevant authorities take control since I do not know anywhere else to do so. Thank you

Regards,
Nigel

==========================================================

1 Comments:

At 4/03/2006 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the tone of your email, i think u made your stand pretty firm.
Can tell that u sound quite angry at the sametime.

I know it seems unjustifiable.
But bare in mind that from an external party's first impression, the progressive fees structure does make sense (at least at the first glance).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home