Saturday, March 11, 2006

Expectations

I was talking to my girlfriend a few days ago and we talked about expectations of friends. Do you expect more of a close friend compared to one whom you do not talk as often? And also in the same way less tolerance towards your close friends?

Initially I set up this blog as a way to pen my thoughts and gradually it also became a portal whereby my friends (whom I seldom met but am close with) can know about my life, my thoughts. As many of my friends are busy at different periods of time, it's very difficult to tell them on msn one by one and typing everything out. Whenever I'm disheartened by things that are happening around me, I'm amazed that how God has put people around me to encourage me. For the past few months, I had few of close friends who went to read my blog without me telling them to do so (coz my msn nick has the blog address) and calling me up giving me words of encouragement with regards to the situation i posted on the blog.

Yesterday after church service, 2 of my friends also came up to me and said they read my blog. One of them said that regarding my lil sis situation it takes a lot of patience and time. Her younger brother was also in BPC 3 years ago and yesterday she brought him to church for the first time (the amazing thing was it was him who pestered her to bring him to church). Another gave me words of advice and also commented on my horrible gramatical mistakes (haha, I'm not perfect though I got B3 for my GP during A'levels).

A really big thank you for all those who have read my blog and gave me words of advice and encouragements regarding my lil sis. Appreciate it deep from my heart.

How does expectations link to my above illustration?
Well, one of my close friend likes to chat on msn. Though I appreciate his initiative of always saying "hi", it really hits my nerve a few times when the next line would be "how's things/life?". It's not as though we meet up once a year (in fact we meet more than once weekly in a group basis). I've told him once before that I have a blog and if he really shows concern as a friend, he can ask a less generic question (like how's your lil sis?/cell gatherings?) or ask some specific things that I mentioned in my blog. It seems very superficial when you meet a friend at a regular basis and he asks you on such a generic question. Maybe I have higher expectations and lesser tolerance in this aspect. I'm not trying to say that the blog is my secretary but if my friends whom I seldom meet/talk msn to me asking me regarding some thoughts I had in my blog, that shows certain kind of sincerity in them.

2 Comments:

At 3/11/2006 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hihi,

I guess this is not a matter of expectations, rather a matter of expressions?
I mean some people do not know how to broach sensitive subjects so they tend to avoid it by asking generic questions.

Perhaps he's those kind of people which prefers not to discuss about
too personal an issue hence he extends these attitudes to you as a close friend.

I feel even when u knew him long time ago and was close to him, it doesnt mean he hasn't changed.

Afterall, nothing beats physical meeting ^^.

 
At 3/14/2006 4:50 AM, Blogger tornado said...

lene: it's more like if you meet a fren once or twice a week regularly, how would you react when he/she ask how's life? If meet so often, why the need to ask such a generic question? It sound superficial to me.

BR: Sad to say, but I hope that it will not be true. Thanks for the advice bro. =)

Jane: Thanks for the encourgements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home