Thursday, June 08, 2006

World Cup

World cup brings back memories (not in a good way though).
4 years ago, I entered University for 1 year and it was World Cup 2002 where Japan and Korea were Co-host nations. It was then Singapore pools had just started legal soccer betting.
From initally thinking of wanting to bet to win some easy money to watch a musical (It was Fame, a musical which I never got to watch), it became an addiction.

My hall kakis like Vic and small Ed would know these things. Watching soccer became more exciting then I had thought because I placed my money in them. I would get into bad temper whenever I lose money and drowsy because lack of sleep. When WC2002 ended, I betted in EPL and Italian League. Whichever game that I can bet on, I would put my bets on it. Though I know how to control (as in I wouldn't make myself in debt that I cannot pay), it was a lose lose situation. In the long run, I lost money (enough to watch more than 30 times of muscial of top category seats) and lost sleep and precious time. This type of lifestyle carried on for almost 1 and half years. Even when I accepted Christ, I still carried on betting for a good 6months before I came before Him and asked Him to kick this addictive habit of mine. It wasn't easy but it was definitely a triumphant feeling when I managed to get out of this situation.

World Cup 2006 is starting tomorrow midnight. I wonder how many people will be walking my footsteps in 2002. This time round, I would be watching World Cup but with an easy mind and not rooting for any team (though I prefer England coz I always use that team to play winning 11 with my friends. haha). May the best team wins. =)

1 Comments:

At 6/08/2006 7:37 AM, Blogger Jing Xian said...

I'm so glad to see the today's Nigel.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home